The application of the science and art of engineering to the mechanical, chemical, thermal and other physical processes involved in the primary and secondary processing of food, fibre and other raw materials from agriculture and forestry and land. The planning, design and management of buildings and other structures for human habitation, production, storage and processing of biology based products from agriculture, forestry, food and other bioprocess industries and water and the environment in general.
Thematic Head: Prof. L. Gumbe
Projects under the thematic area
- Mumias Sugar Company(MSC). Optimized Transport System for Busia Cane Zone. 2007: The main objective of the study was to identify andstudy the cane transport systems pertinent to the Busia Cane Zone so as to recommend the institution of an optimised cane transport system.
- 2008-2011, Feasibility Study, Design and Planning of the Mushubi Tea Factory, Nyamagabe District, Southern Province, RWANDA (2008- 2011).
- 2006 – 2009, Master Plan Study for the Development of Tea Culture at Gatare Area of Nyamasheke District, Western Province.
Graduates find employment in the following areas
- Government Ministries: Water and irrigation, Agriculture, Lands and Settlement, Environment among others.
- Parastatals: Universities of Nairobi, Egerton, JKUAT, Moi, KU, Cereals board, Sugar Industry, National Irrigation Boards, Tea Board, Coffee Board, Lake Basin Development Authority. Private Companies: Davis & Shirtliff, Rift Valley Machinery, Firestone, Delmonte, Brooke Bond, Banks.
- Consultancy Firms: GIBB East Africa, LOG Associates among others.
- International agencies: ICRAF, RELMA, UNDP, UN, UNEP,World Vision, Care Kenya.
- City and Town Councils: Nairobi City Council and
- Individual Entrepreneurships.