Mechanization, Power and Machinery Engineering
This area is involved in design and management of energy systems, machinery and implements for production and processing in agriculture, forestry, amenity, aquaculture and related biology based production and processing systems.
Projects under the thematic areas:
Methodological Guidelines for Agricultural mechanisation strategy formulation , AGROTEC and FAO. 1994..
Conservation Tillage and Food production in Semiarid Tropics of Africa: Kenyan case study. Paper presetted in the annual meeting, of American Society of Agronomy, SEATTLE U.S.A..- 2004
Cane haulage model and fleet structure for Mumias Sugar company, Kenya 2008 (Completed)
Agricultural Technologies for conservation tillage in semi arid Rachuonyo District. Lake Victoria. Research Initiative (VICRES) and Inter-University Council of Eastern Africa (IUCEA) funded. 2005 – 2010. Completed.
Development and design of conservation tillage tools. Deans Committee UoN funded. 2007 – 2011.Completed
Graduates find employment in the following areas
- Government Ministries: Water and irrigation, Agriculture, Lands and Settlement, Environment among others.
- Parastatals: Universities of Nairobi, Egerton, JKUAT, Moi, KU, Cereals board, Sugar Industry, National Irrigation Boards, Tea Board, Coffee Board, Lake Basin Development Authority. Private Companies: Davis & Shirtliff, Rift Valley Machinery, Firestone, Delmonte, Brooke Bond, Banks.
- Consultancy Firms: GIBB East Africa, LOG Associates among others.
- International agencies: ICRAF, RELMA, UNDP, UN, UNEP,World Vision, Care Kenya.
- City and Town Councils: Nairobi City Council and
- Individual Entrepreneurships.