The application of the science and art of engineering to the planning, design and management of of natural resources of air, soil, water systems for control and utilization of water resources for industrial, amenity, domestic and livestock consumption, irrigation and the drainage of excess water from fields to minimize the adverse impact of human activities and other processes on the natural environment.
Projects under the thematic area.
- 1995 Technical backstopping to irrigation and drainage engineers of the Ministry of Agriculture involved in the preparation of District Irrigation and Drainage Profiles
- 1991 – Development of a drainage manual to be used by irrigation and drainage engineers in assessing drainage potential and strategies and approaches for tapping the potential. A project funded by Smallholder Irrigation Development Program.
- 1992 – Was Team leader for a project to guide future drainage project planning by identifying environmental impacts and how to mitigate them. Client - Smallholder Irrigation Development Program of the Irrigation and Drainage Branch, Ministry of Agriculture.
- 1995-1997 –Assessment of water resources, irrigation requirements and planning irrigation development in the upper Ewaso Ngiro River Basin as part of the NRMMM research and monitoring project of Laikipia Research Program and University of Nairobi.
- 2001-2002 –Consultancy on irrigation planning in the Ewaso Ngiro North Development Authority a component of Ewaso North River Catchment and Water Resources Management study carried out by Nippon Koei in 2002 and funded by African Development Bank
- 2009 – Rapid assessment and formulation of Kenya’s Irrigation and Drainage Master Plan. The client was MoWI-DIDWS
Graduates find employment in the following areas
- Government Ministries: Water and irrigation, Agriculture, Lands and Settlement, Environment among others.
- Parastatals: Universities of Nairobi, Egerton, JKUAT, Moi, KU, Cereals board, Sugar Industry, National Irrigation Boards, Tea Board, Coffee Board, Lake Basin Development Authority. Private Companies: Davis & Shirtliff, Rift Valley Machinery, Firestone, Delmonte, Brooke Bond, Banks.
- Consultancy Firms: GIBB East Africa, LOG Associates among others.
- International agencies: ICRAF, RELMA, UNDP, UN, UNEP,World Vision, Care Kenya.
- City and Town Councils: Nairobi City Council and
- Individual Entrepreneurships.